OSRS Ranged Guide 2019
Farming is a common but important activity in OSRS. By that I don’t mean farming gold or items, but agricultural in-game farming, the kind that yields crops, produce, and other similar items. It’s a rather huge boon, making it a must-learn must-farm skill.
OSRS Ranged Guide 2019
In OSRS, there are three combat skills you can choose from. Among them, the safest one is Ranged, for obvious reasons. It’s also quite easy to pick up, but it can be quite the grind if you don’t know where to level up. Aside from that, you can also make money out of it. To help you out with that, here is our Ranged Training OSRS guide.
Ranged Styles, Explained
Before we start reaching the cap, here are a few things you should know beforehand. First are the three styles you can choose from, which are the following:
- • Accurate – gives 3 unwritten bonus levels in ranged, thus enhancing your accuracy.
- • Rapid – as the name suggests, it gives a higher rate of fire at the cost of accuracy. Gives the same EXP bonuses as accurate.
- • Longrange – Trades rate of fire for 3 unwritten bonus Defense levels. Earns 2 EXP with Ranged and Defence per hit.
As someone starting from the bottom, the most recommended style to choose is Accurate. Later on, you can choose Rapid if that’s to your liking. As for Defense, go with that if you’re the type that prefers survivability, or if you’re trying to save time grinding so you can level up two skills at once.
Grinding in Old School RS, Free-to-Play Style
With that covered, let’s now talk about grinding. Like in almost skills, the way you’ll go about this depends on depends on your membership status.
For F2P players, they have access to only three weapons, namely:
- • Shortbow – has a decent attack speed of 6. Most recommended for leveling. Use the training bow until you reach level 10 Ranged.
- • Longbow – has slower attack speed but has a range of 2 tiles further.
- • Crossbow – has a slower attack speed than shortbow but is only one-handed, in turn allowing you to equip shields or even two crossbows. Do note, however, that using shields cause a ranging penalty. Regular crossbow and Phoenix crossbow with bronze bolts are recommended.
Unlike other MMORPGs, arrows and bolts are a separate item from bows. In addition to that, they’re also consumables, so you need to make them count when you use them, especially the rarer, more expensive ones.
For the arrows you’ll be using, stick to training arrows until you move on to another bow, which you’ll use bronze or iron arrows. Preferably the latter, as it deals higher damage. You can then move on to steel arrows, which are the priciest arrows for practical use. As for mithril and adamant arrows, they are often used for player-killing or other special purposes. However, if you have a lot of them in stock, use it however you please.
For crossbows, the only available ammo for free-to-play players is bronze bolts.
As for armour, here are the most recommended ones:
- • Levels 1-9: leather chaps, vambraces, and body.
- • Levels 10-19: leather chaps and vambraces; hardleather body.
- • Level 20-39: coif, leather vambraces, studded body and chaps.
- • Level 40 and up: coif; green dragonhide chaps, vambraces, and body.
For amulets, the Amulet of Power is considered best in slot, as it gives the best offensive boosts. The Amulet of Accuracy, while not as good as the former, gives a fair boost to Ranged attacks. Lastly, Amulet of Defence is an alternative if you prefer to increase their defense.
With gear pretty much explained, let’s now go to which monster you’ll be grinding on at specific levels.
- • Level 2 – goblins and chickens (Lumbridge)
- • Level 5 – monks (Monastery)
- • Levels 7-20 – wizards (Draynor Village)
- • Level 16-17 – barbarians (Barbarian Village)
- • Levels 20-34 – minotaurs (Stronghold of Security)
- • Level 42 – moss giants (Crandor Isle, The Wilderness, Varrock Sewers)
- • Level 65 – lesser demons (Karamja, Crandor)
- • Level 76 - ankou (Stronghold of Security)
OSRS Ranged Training for Members
Ranged Grinding as a member is hugely different from being free-to-play. The first advantage you have is a much wider arsenal. Here are some of the best weapons you’ll be using to grind:
- • OSRS Cannon – AKA the Dwarf Multicannon. Its ammo, the cannonball, is quite expensive.
- • Throwing Knives – to be used at rock crabs. It’s more recommended to use steel and mithril throwing knives, as they have more range than iron knives.
- • Darts – damage-dealing throwing items that are cheaper than throwing knives.
Also, grinding to 99 is a lot simpler, not to mention that you have more options.
- • Levels 1-32 - finish the quests Shadow of the Storm, Death to the Dorgeshuun, and Horror from the Deep.
• Levels 1-55/70 – killing crabs, which you’ll hit and run. You
can choose from the following weapons:
- ○ Darts, up to adamant
- ○ Dorgeshuun Crossbow (level 28)
- ○ Highest-level throwing knife you have
- ○ Highest-level throwing knife you have
- ○ Rune Crossbow and broad bolts
- • Levels 1-80 – kill ogres at Combat Training Camp from level 1-80 using the OSRS cannon, or move on to ice trolls at Fremennik Isles at level 45 and stick there until 80. Do note, however, that cannonballs can be quite expensive, so you’ll be losing gold if you want this fast and convenient method.
- • Levels 45/55-99 – throwing chinchompas at maniacal monkeys on Ape Atoll is a fast way to get to 99, but the fastest way to level Ranged in the game. Have gear that boosts Ranged strength and prayer to the highest.
- • Levels 75-99 – cannoning Dagonnoths under the Lighthouse. Use blowpipe and mithril darts with cannon to get 160-175,000 EXP per hour.
- • Levels 75-99 – Nightmare Zone, which is an affordable alternative than using chinchompas. Use blowpipe and steel darts and earn 85k EXP, while mithril darts with Sharp Eye Prayer and necklace of anguish earns 110k EXP.
RuneScape 2007: Making Money out of Ranged
Finally, it’s time to make money through Ranged. It’s actually not recommended to make money out of combat skills, but in case you have to, here are the top five ways. These are arranged by profit.
- • Killing Vorkath (Dragon Hunter crossbow) – 3,520,000 Gold
- • Chambers of Xeric (recommended 90+ Ranged) – 2,821,000 Gold
- • Killing demonic gorillas (recommended 75+ Ranged) - 2,182,000 Gold
- • Killing the Abyssal Sire (recommended 85+ Ranged) – 1,834,000 Gold
- • Killing Zulrah (recommended 80+ Ranged) – 1,769,000 Gold.
So there you have it – our guide for Ranged. Hopefully, this has either encouraged you to try out this convenient combat skill, or helped you grind it faster or earn gold out of it.
Buy OSRS Gold
4.9out of 5