Wrathful Hearts are the most powerful and rarest Malignant Hearts in Diablo 4. Caged Hearts aren’t too difficult to obtain since they drop inside all Malignant Tunnels in the game’s map. Each Malignant Tunnel drops at least three Caged Hearts for you to utilize. Meanwhile, the Wrathful Hearts are few and far between.
Diablo 4 Season 1 hasn’t entirely lived up to the expectations of many. Blizzard received a lot of backlash from their recent patch, which nerfed almost everything to the ground. And those that have chosen to “no-life” the first major seasonal update area are confused about where they can find Wrathful Hearts. Luckily for you, I found a new trick for farming these coveted Hearts more easily.
What Are Wrathful Hearts?
The best way to describe Wrathful Hearts is that they’re like Malignant Hearts on crack. Of course, this makes them the rarest type of Heart to obtain in Diablo 4. Unlike other Heart types, it’s possible to socket a Wrathful Heart into any infested socket—regardless of the socket’s color.
There are eight Wrathful Hearts to collect in Diablo 4:
- The Unconstrained Beast – For the Druid. World Tier 4. When you’re hit with a Knock Down, Stun, or Freeze effect, there’s a 40-60% chance for you to activate Grissly Rage for three seconds automatically.
- The Barber – World Tier 3. Your target absorbs all subsequent damage and Critical Strikes within 2-4 seconds. The absorbed damage then erupts onto enemies surrounding it. Storage damage is also increased by 10% per second.
- Omnipower – For the Sorcerer. World Tier 4. Core Skills that can launch a projectile will consume all your Mana. For every extra 35-45 Mana consumed, you can launch an additional projectile with its damage increased by 3-5%.
- Ignoring Pain – For the Barbarian. World Tier 4. Any incoming damage has a 5-15% chance of being ignored and will instead heal you for 17-68 HP.
- The Great Feast – For the Necromancer. World Tier 4. Each active Minion will drain 1-2 Essence per second and deals 50-75% increased damage. If you have no Minions but drain 5 Essence per second, this bonus applies to you.
- The Malignant Pact – You can get a Malignant bonus for every 20 kills.
- Brutal – Gain a Barrier that can absorb 85-102 damage every 21 seconds.
- Vicious – Gain 20% Attack Speed.
- Devious – Basic and Core Skills have a 15% chance to restore your Primary Resource fully.
- The Vile Apothecary – For the Rogue. World Tier 4. Attacks have a 5-15% chance to apply all Imbuement effects at 40-50% of normal potency.
- Creeping Death – Damage Over Time effects are increased by 30-40% for each Crowd Control effect on a target. Staggered bosses and Unstoppable monsters can take 110-130% increased damage from Damage Over Time effects.
Farming Wrathful Hearts
You can use different methods to farm Wrathful Hearts in Diablo 4. There are no right or wrong ways among the choices I’ll list below, so follow whichever your heart desires.
Defeat Wrathful Elites
Craft a Wrathful Invoker at Cormond’s Wagon to use on the WRathful Outgrowths at the end of the Malignant Tunnels. Once you’ve activated the Wrathful Invoker, the Outgrowths will spawn a Wrathful Elite enemy that drops a caged Wrathful Heart when killed.
Sound simple enough, eh? Well, there’s a catch. To get the Wrathful Invoker, you’ll have to get lucky with the loot pool of crafting an Uncertain Invoker first. The RNG aspect can be a pain for some, which is understandable since you’re not guaranteed a Wrath Invoker whenever you waste your resources/materials.
Craft Uncertain Hearts
The only method to “craft” Wrathful Hearts is turning your Ichor into Uncertain Hearts at Cormond’s Wagon. Uncertain Hearts only have a slight chance of creating a Wrathful Heart, much like the case with Uncertain Invokers.
Wrathful Hearts that have been crafted will scale with your level, so I highly recommend that you wait a while before spending your Ichor on an attempt to craft a Wrathful Heart unless you’re struggling to clear Diablo 4’s seasonal content.
To craft Uncertain Hearts, you’ll need the following:
- 1,000 Gold
- 20 Devious Malignant Ichor
- 20 Brutal Malignant Ichor
- 20 Vicious Malignant Ichor
The “Super Secret” Method
Robin “Rob2628” Steinberg, a YouTuber and the first Diablo 4 player to reach level 100, discovered this method. He shared the trick on his channel, but I’ll summarize what you need to do here. You must not have completed the Season of the Malignant questline to execute the trick, or else you’ll need to create a new character. Then, when you reach the final quest—”The Cold Hard Truth”—you’ll get the task of clearing a dungeon in Fractured Peaks. Destroy the corruption spores for Varshan the Consumed to appear and defeat him. This will guarantee you a Wrathful Heart. Finally, instead of completing the quest normally, leave the dungeon and reset it or re-enter the game. That way, you can fight Varshan and clear the dungeon as often as you’d like to get Wrathful Hearts.
If you’ve already progressed past this point of the quest, not to worry—you can still use this method by joining a friend’s game and farming the route with them. Note that this secret method is one that Blizzard might patch up in the future, so be sure to take advantage of this before it’s gone in the game.